Welcome to Our Friends Community!

  • The Friend of the Paris Public Library is a nonprofit organization established in 1980 to help fund the Library expansion. It continues to raise funds in support of special programs and projects that improve the library and provide exceptional service to the community.

  • Board Members

    Audrey Mathieu - President

    Jennifer Hollje - Vice President

    Jeannie Walter - Treasurer

    Myers Hurt - Secretary

  • The Paris Public Library was organized by Mrs. T. M. Scott in 1926. In 1929, architect J.L. Wees designed the Emily Culbertson Library. The City Library Building and Culbertson Art Gallery were presented to the citizens of Paris by J. J. Culbertson in 1932. That same year, Mary F. Canfield made a major donation of books. In 1936, the George T. Wright Collection of Indian Pottery was displayed. The Mrs. Rufus F. Scott Library was donated to the Paris Public Library in 1937. The Paris Public Library was opened to Lamar County citizens in 1957. A library bond proposal for $975,000 was passed for new construction and renovation with William M. Lightfoot as architect in 1985. A Library Services and Construction Act grant of $100,000 was awarded to the City of Paris the same year. In 1986, Lieutenant Governor, William Hobby, broke ground for the new construction. The Paris Public Library moved into the additional 9,875 square feet of space added to the west of the older building (4710sq ft) in 1987. The Paris Public Library currently resides in the same location.